While the Library would like to accommodate all requests of local organizations and businesses for such space, the volume of requests and the small amount of space available makes this impossible. The term “display” is used collectively to include handouts, flyers, posters, and exhibit items. The Library does not advocate or endorse the viewpoints of exhibits or exhibitors using public forum locations. The Display policy applies to all locations of the Santa Clarita Public Library.
Displays are for information about civic, cultural, educational and recreational programs of likely interest to the local community. The displays may include such forms as:
- Promotion of interest in the use of books and other library resources.
- Information about community affairs, organizations, services and activities.
Only civic groups, service clubs, nonprofit organizations, and governmental units promoting free events are acceptable sponsors of these activities for posting. All posting must be approved by the branch manager and are at the manager’s discretion.
No political candidate or proposition materials, commercial promotions or private events, such as yard sales, and “services provided,” are eligible for display.
SIZE AND LOCATION
The Library reserves the right to refuse display materials that are awkward to display or take up disproportionate space. Displays are only allowed in designated areas; generally, these are kiosks in the lobby. Other areas, such as service desks, study tables, walls, windows, doors, and shelving end panels are reserved for the Library’s own displays. Library or City displays shall have priority of use of available space.
REQUIREMENTS FOR POSTING/DISTRIBUTING ITEMS
- Handouts, flyers, and posters are displayed no more than one month prior to the event and will be placed in the appropriate public forum location by Library staff.
- All items must identify the group or person responsible for distribution, and provide a contact address or telephone number.
- Posters, flyers, and pamphlets may be discarded by the Library staff after 30 days or the end of the event. The library will relocate, rearrange, and remove materials as it chooses.
- The library does not store materials. Any items brought early must be redelivered within the display period.
- Active distribution, in which a person on site hands out materials, canvasses, solicits or petitions, is not allowed in the library.
- Items to be posted/distributed must not be in violation of any federal, state or local laws.