The City Council of the City of Santa Clarita appointed a Citizens Public Library Advisory Committee to conduct a community needs assessment and develop a long-range strategic plan for the Santa Clarita Public Library. The thirty-six members of the Citizens Public Library Advisory Committee held seven sessions from December 2010 through June 2011.
The Planning Process
The development of the Strategic Service Plan was a comprehensive process that involved many forms of input. A community survey was completed by 2,930 individuals (view full survey results). Meetings with 20 focus groups were attended by over 200 individuals. Resident opinions were solicited by members of the Committee. And, of course, the members of the Committee used their own knowledge and experience in Santa Clarita.
From the strategic planning process, the Committee identified seven Service Priorities. Then, in consideration of the Service Priorities, the Committee developed eight Service Goals.
The Service Priorities
- Satisfy Curiosity: Lifelong Learning
- Create Young Readers: Early Literacy
- Stimulate Imagination: Reading, Viewing, and Listening for Pleasure
- Visit a Comfortable Place: Physical and Virtual Spaces
- Understand How to Find, Evaluate, and Use Information: Information Fluency
- Connect to the Online World: Public Internet Access
- Succeed in School: Homework Help
The Service Goals
- Children in Santa Clarita will enter school reading or ready to read.
- Adults, young adults, and children will find books and media materials at the Library to satisfy their curiosity, entertain, and enrich their lives.
- Residents of Santa Clarita will have the information and computer skills necessary to succeed in school and at work, and to lead productive and prosperous lives.
- The Santa Clarita Public Library will ensure that all Santa Clarita residents have free, high-speed access to the Internet outside home, school, or office.
- Adults will have the information and resources needed to achieve career goals and lead fulfilled and enjoyable lives.
- In the Library, students will find library materials and services designed to help them succeed in school.
- The Library will provide a community meeting place and a civic focus for residents of Santa Clarita and surrounding areas.
- Adults and young adults in Santa Clarita will possess the literacy skills necessary to lead fulfilled and productive lives.
For each of these eight goals, the Committee developed several measurable objectives to be used in evaluating the accomplishment of the Service Goals.
On Tuesday, July 12, 2011, the City Council approved the Strategic Service Plan for the Santa Clarita Public Library as recommended by the Citizens Public Library Advisory Committee. The Strategic Service Plan is intended to cover Fiscal Years 2011 through 2014.