There is a Santa Clarita Public Library branch in Canyon Country, Newhall and Valencia – and now, the City is looking to locate, design, construct and program its fourth library in the Saugus community by the year 2020. However, this will be more than just a library; the building will act as both a library and community center for the Saugus neighborhoods.
The concept plan:
- Multi-generational family destination and gathering place for all Santa Clarita residents
- Vibrant community hub with unique indoor and outdoor spaces
- A place where learning, exploration, imagination and play can happen simultaneously in the same area
Engaging the Saugus Library Service Area in the Planning Process
The Needs Assessment focused on the Saugus Library Service Area, and engaged the community through surveys and focused community meetings.
Envisioning the Saugus Library Center
The study identified the need for:
- Conveniently located library
- Recreation and community facilities
- Event venues
- Meeting spaces/community gatherings
- Visual and performing art exhibit
- Education spaces
- Technology training
- School support facility
The City has reviewed the feedback and has completed a Saugus Library Center Draft Program with proposed facility features.
A community meeting was held on June 23 to share the concept plan and proposed site with Saugus residents.
The Saugus Library Center site location will be determined by the Santa Clarita City Council in late spring. The next steps would include design and construction. A project as large as the Saugus Library Center may take about a year and a half to design.
The City’s goal is to have the Saugus Library Center open for residents by the year 2020.
This project is part of the City’s Santa Clarita 2020 Community Strategic Plan. Visit SantaClarita2020 for a complete list of projects, programs and services the City is working toward.