GET IN THE HOBBIT SPIRIT WITH A VARIETY OF THEMED EVENTS AT THE SANTA CLARITA PUBLIC LIBRARY
In anticipation of the upcoming release of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, the City of Santa Clarita Public Library invites community members to celebrate the new film with special themed activities and programming beginning Monday, November 25, 2013 and continuing through Saturday, December 14, 2013.
All three library branches and several community partners will offer three weeks of FREE programs, movie screenings, and literary discussions in November and December including:
- Monday, November 25 through Monday, December 9 – All Santa Clarita Public Library branches, including Canyon Country, Old Town Newhall and Valencia invite patrons to test their luck at guessing the total number of Smaug’s gold coins. Each branch will also host a hobbit scavenger hunt around the library. Winners will receive a pair of tickets to the December 14 private screening of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug.
- Saturday, November 30 from 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. – The Valencia Library branch will host a free showing of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
- Tuesday, December 3 from 3:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. – The Old Town Newhall Library will host a free showing of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
- Tuesday, December 3 at 6:30 p.m. – Hosted at the Valencia Library branch, Tolkien scholar Cliff Broadway will present a special program and slideshow about the publishing history of Tolkien’s works followed by a discussion.
- Thursday, December 5 at 7:00 p.m. – Join Professor Josh Long of Azusa Pacific University at the Old Town Newhall Library as he explores the character Smaug and his draconic influence on Tolkien’s legendary series, focusing primarily on Smaug and Gollum in The Hobbit, as well as the influence Smaug exerted on The Lord of the Rings.
After each event referenced above, participants will have the opportunity to win free pairs of tickets to a private screening of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug on Saturday, December 14 at 10:00 a.m. at the Valencia Stadium 12 Theater. In order to be eligible to win a ticket, library guests must participate in at least one activity, have a Santa Clarita Public Library card and be 13 years or older.
All events are sponsored by the Friends of Santa Clarita Public Library. To learn more or to become a member, visit SantaClaritaFOL.com
Stay connected on all Hobbit Happenings by liking the Santa Clarita Public Library Facebook page at Facebook.com/SCVPublicLibrary or following the Twitter account at Twitter.com/SCVPublicLib. For further information, visit SantaClaritaLibrary.com or contact your local Santa Clarita Public Library branch.